Here’s how to program an RCA universal remote without codes if you’re sick of paging through endless remote control instruction books in search of the correct code.
- Prepare your RCA Universal remote control for programming
- Installing the RCA universal remote control’s batteries
- Battery Precautions
- Battery Saver
- How to program an RCA universal remote without codes using Auto Code Search
- How to Program an RCA universal remote control with any device using Auto Code Search
- How to program an RCA universal remote with a TV using Auto Code Search
This blog post will walk you through a straightforward, step-by-step procedure for programming your RCA universal remote control without a code.
Prepare your RCA Universal remote control for programming
Your universal remote requires two AA alkaline batteries (batteries may or may not be included, depending on model).
Installing the RCA universal remote control’s batteries
- Remove the battery compartment cover.
- Insert the batteries, matching the batteries to the (+) and (–) marks inside the battery compartment.
- Push the battery cover back into place.
- Do not mix old and new batteries.
- Do not mix alkaline, standard (carbon-zinc) or rechargeable (nickel-cadmium) batteries.
- Always remove old, weak or worn-out batteries promptly and recycle or dispose of them in accordance with Local and National Regulations.
In order to conserve battery life, your universal remote control turns off if any key is depressed for more than 60 seconds.
If your remote gets stuck somewhere where the buttons stay pressed, like between couch cushions, it will preserve battery life by doing this.
How to program an RCA universal remote without codes using Auto Code Search
The Auto Code Search function automatically scans through all the codes related to the device you aim to control.
Once you come across the code that operates your device, you may terminate the search and save the code.
Points to Note while using the Auto Code Search RCA universal remote control programming
Note that each device key is associated with a type of device.
- The TV button is preset to search for TVs.
- The SAT, CBL, and DTC buttons are preset for satellite receivers, cable boxes or digital TV converters.
- The VCR and DVD buttons are preset for VCRs or DVD players.
- To exit without saving a new code at any point in the Auto Code Search, press the GO BACK key.
- Throughout the programming of each key, be sure to keep the remote, pointed at the IR sensor of the device you are currently programming the remote with.
- Test the remote with the device to make sure the device key is programmed with the correct code for maximum functionality. If some features don’t work, try a different code. See the “Testing the Code for Maximum Functionality” section below for more information.
- During the Auto Code Search, the remote ignores keypresses that aren’t part of the search.
- The search times out after two minutes (the ON/OFF key blinks four times and turns off, and the last programmed code under that device key is retained).
- The ON/OFF key blinks four times and turns off when the remote has gone through all the codes. The remote exits the Auto Code Search. If your device hasn’t turned off yet, try a different search method.
How to Program an RCA universal remote control with any device using Auto Code Search
You may watch the video version above or continue reading below.
- Step 1: Manually turn on the device you want to control and keep the remote pointed at its IR sensor..
- Step 2: If you’re programming a TV or SAT, CBL, DTC, press and hold the TV Key or SAT/CBL/DTC key respectively then go to step 5 below.
- Step 3: If you’re programming a VCR or DVD, press and hold the VCR/DVD key.
- Step 4: While you’re holding down the VCR/DVD key, use your other hand to press the Number key for the type of device you want to control 2 for VCR, 3 for DVD.
- Step 5: Press and hold the device key you want to program. While you’re holding down the device key, use your other hand to press and hold the remote’s ON/OFF key at the same time.
- Step 6: Wait until the ON/OFF key comes on and stays on. Then release both keys.
- Step 7: Point the remote directly to the front panel of the device you want to control.
- Step 8: Press PLAY on the remote and wait 5 seconds. The remote is testing a batch of 10 codes on your device.
- Step 9: Did your device turn off? If yes, go to step 10. If not, Press PLAY again. The remote tests the next batch of 10 codes. Keep pressing PLAY every 5 seconds until your device turns off.
- Step 10: When your device turns off, press the REVERSE key on the remote and wait at least 2 seconds. The remote tries the last of the previous ten codes.
- Step 11: If your device turns on, press the STOP key. You’re done! You’ve successfully programmed your device.
- Step 12: If your device doesn’t turn on, press REVERSE again. The remote will test the next code in the batch. Keep pressing REVERSE every 2 seconds until your device turns back on. When it does, press the STOP key.
If you accidentally press the REVERSE key after your device turns on, press the FORWARD key. Then, wait two seconds to see if your device turns off again.
Testing the RCA remote for Maximum Functionality
- Try a variety of the device’s functions with the remote. If some device features don’t work, go to the next step to try a different code.
- Repeat the Auto Code Search Method from the beginning. When your device turns off, do not stop searching. Instead, with the unit now off, continue to press the PLAY key every 5 seconds until the unit turns back on.
- Once the unit turns back on, press the REVERSE key on the remote every 2 seconds until your device turns off again. When your device turns off again, press the STOP key.
- Test the key’s functionality again by attempting to control a variety of the device functions. If the code that has been stored controls the majority of the device’s functions, programming is complete. If the code stored does not give maximum functionality, try another code.
How to program an RCA universal remote with a TV using Auto Code Search
You can program an RCA universal remote to a TV without using a code through the Auto Programming method.
- Turn on your TV.
- Point the RCA universal remote control to the TV.
- Press and hold the TV button first with one finger.
- While still holding the TV button, press and hold the Power button with another finger until the power button lights up.
- After the Power button lights up, release both buttons.
- Next, press and hold the Play button for about five seconds until your TV turns on.
- If your TV doesn’t turn on after five seconds, first release the play button, then press and hold it again for another five seconds.
- Release the Play button as soon as your TV turns on.
- Now press the rewind button (or reverse button) once every five seconds until your TV turns off.
- Once your TV turns off, stop pressing the Rewind button.
- Finally, press the Stop button to save the RCA universal remote control settings.
If the Auto Code Search method does not work for you, then here’s another blog post showing other ways to program your RCA universal remote control. Here’s a Code list for programming your RCA universal remote control using codes. Click here to find more RCA universal remote control codes from the manufacturer.
Disclaimer: As An Amazon Affiliate, We Earn From Qualifying Purchases